Anthony Reed, CPA, PMP
Running to Leadership: Individual and Team Building
Anthony Reed, CPA, PMP is a business professional with over 30 years of experience. This includes 25 years in project management and executive positions for companies, such as Texas Instruments, Motel 6, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. He’s been featured in the business, IT, travel, and sports sections of major newspapers and publications across the country. This includes the PMI Today, Dallas Morning News, Runner’s World, Southern Living, Ebony, and the Journal of Accountancy.
He holds two graduate degrees (management and accounting) and two undergraduate degrees (management and mathematics). He’s also taught collegiate project management, information technology, accounting, and business management courses. He’s also a certified Supply Chain Manager.
He served on the Board of Directors for the Oracle Applications Users Group (OAUG), the Dallas White Rock Marathon, software firms, and various local and international not-for-profit organizations.
He’s led multi-million dollar, international projects for some of the largest Fortune 500 companies. He has spoken at national and international project management, accounting, IT, and software quality assurance conferences. He has five books and over fifty articles published. The articles have appeared in ComputerWorld, Datamation, Career Focus, and Runner’s World magazines. His latest 208-page book is Running to Leadership: What Finishing 100+ Marathons On All Seven Continents Teaches Us About Success (second edition, November 2014).
This certified running coach is one of about sixty people in the world, who completed the marathon “hat trick.” He finished over (1) 100 marathons on (2) all seven continents, including Antarctica, and (3) in all 50 States. This included the frigid Antarctica, Kenya’s dangerous Lewa SafriCom, and China’s Great Wall Marathons. Fewer than 225 people in the world had accomplished the seven continents feat. Subsequently, his journeys were chronicled in his book, Running Shoes Are Cheaper Than Insulin: Marathon Adventures On All Seven Continents.
Housekeeping & Introductions
- 25 Years of project management and executive experience
- Completed 125 marathons on all seven continents and 50 States in 25 years
- Five top 50 marathon finishes
The Concepts & Type T Personalities
- Transfer of Learning
- General Systems Theory
- Type A, B, T, and t Personalities
- Project Managers are mental marathoners (Type T’s)
Historical Overview of Projects/Methods
- What’s a Project?
- The Project Equation
- Project Failures
Who We Are & How Did We Get Here
- The Way We Think – The Craftsman Mentality
- Project Manager: Perceptions versus Reality
- Project management: The world’s easiest job!!!
Finding the I in TEAM
- Transforming Groups to Teams
- Transforming Managers to Leaders
The Achievement Equation
- Goal Setting
- Setting the four balanced goals
- The critical cycle goal
- Motivating Yourself & Teams
- Change management
- Expanding comfort zones
- Managing victims and facing FEARS
- Risk management and mitigation
- Managing executives and sponsors expectations
- The perfect project and the project from hell
- Managing slackers, narcissist, and victims.
- Unplanned events